Wednesday, September 16, 2009

be my baby

Three girls. Two just about in their teens. One younger than that.

A well meaning father who gets the girls a movie, so the parents can go out for the day.

A hot summer day. A cool living room.

The three girls scrawled on the floor, staring up at the Crown TV. With no idea of what’s going to come their way.

Then the movie starts, and in half an hour there’s a hush in the room.

Not one of them moves. The phone rings far away, it’s the parents checking on them.

But the girls are hypnotised.

They have no idea that this is possible. That chemistry is not just something they’re going to learn in senior school.

The movie gets over. The girls keep lying there, staring at the screen.

Slowly they get up, and walk out to the veranda. The sun is setting.

They stand there, looking out, still in a trance.

Then the youngest looks up at them and says, “I want to fall in love.”

The two older girls, who usually make fun of her, don’t say anything.

She’s just hit the nail on the head.

Dirty Dancing changed the way my hormones ran around. So rest in peace Patrick Swayze, and thanks for making birthday parties in my teenage years so much fun!


image @ http://static.guim.co.uk

7 comments:

Kokonad said...

Dirty Dancing is a chick flick but I love it! For Jennifer Grey, though :) And of course the songs are great, my favorite being Do you love me by the Contours I think. (I can mash potato... I can do the twist)

Kokonad said...

Nice post :)

Gia Fernandes said...

Same pinch :-)

Nανєєη said...

Dirty dancing was a movie to remember....

ani_aset said...

superb AGG have missed out on your posts 8 of them :)

mentalie said...

ah...dirty dancing defined my idea of what dancing should be. may patrick rest in peace and have many many dances with menaka.
kokonad, do you love me was my ABsolute favourite song from the movie as well! esp. the part where patrick beckons baby over...i had to be physically restrained from bursting into the tv screen!

Meghana Naidu said...

you AND Cloudcutter that was quite a surprise ;)